By: MOLLY WICKER
On June 20, 2019, the U.S. Department of State released its annual Trafficking in Persons Report, in which Belize received an improved Tier 2 Watch List ranking. After four consecutive years of receiving a failing grade, the improved ranking demonstrates the country’s committed efforts to training dedicated police officers and prosecutors to address the issue of human trafficking within the Belizean borders.
Several Belizean media outlets publicized the improved ranking, and also noted the Institute’s continued partnership with the country:
- Belize Upgrade to Tier 2 in U.S. Department of State’s 2019 TIP Report, Channel 5 Belize, June 20, 2019
- Commissioner Pleased With Upgrade, 7 News Belize, June 20, 2019
- Long Languishing in Tier 3: U.S. Upgrades Belize on Human Trafficking List, 7 News Belize, June 20, 2019
- Belize’s ranking improves on U.S. human trafficking report, Breaking Belize News, July 1, 2019
- Belize Gets Upgraded on Human Trafficking Ranking, The Reporter, July 4, 2019 (page 5)